Tuesday 24 December 2013

My Favourite Movie of All Time...

Over the summer, I watched a movie I identified with so much and it has become my favourite movie of all time. I've watched this movie several times throughout the year and it touches me every single time. "Celeste and Jesse Forever" is said to be a romantic comedy. However, it is nothing like a typical romantic comedy. If it were up to me, I would say that it is a light-humoured drama. The story is set in modern times and Celeste is the main character. She is a successful trend analyst and owns her own company. Celeste lives with her best friend, Jesse, who was also her husband of 6 years, however, they are now separated but continues to live together. Jesse is an underachieving artist who fails to grow up. This is partially because he is living with Celeste. Celeste and Jesse are high school sweethearts and I feel that Jesse has been stuck in this high school mindset all this time he has been with Celeste. Celeste is a girl who knows exactly what she wants and strives to get it. She believes she is smarter than everyone in the room and that she is always right about everything. However, she gets proven wrong at many turns throughout the movie. It was insane how much I identified with the character, Celeste. However, I am suppose to identify with her because usually romantic comedies intend on the watcher to identify with the main female character. In my mind, it was different, I felt like I was Celeste. Celeste left Jesse because she didn't see him as being the father of her children. As soon as Celeste shut down any possibilities of them ever getting back together, Jesse's life changed in a dramatically positive way. The two experience the different sides of a break up and everything happens quite gracefully. It doesn't have an ending that you would want to watch, but it is an ending that had to happen. I respect movies that do that and I loved "Celeste and Jesse Forever" dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment