Tuesday 24 December 2013

GMO Foods

The topic of genetically modified organisms has come up many times in my school. Whether it's during presentations in Economics, or current events studies also being presented in Law or Geography. I agree with the debate that we should have labelling for foods that are genetically modified. Genetically modified foods pose a health risk to everyone. It should be a lifestyle that we should be able to avoid or accept according to our views on the subject. We should be made aware of which foods are genetically modified and which foods aren't. Putting labels on the genetically modified foods will make us more conscious of what we are putting in our bodies. Tobacco companies label their cigarette packs with health risks, and I believe GMO foods should do the same. GMOs have been proven in some studies to have cancer producing effects as well as increasing of allergies and other diseases in our bodies. These are things consumers should be aware of. As a consumer, I believe I should have the right to know what it is that I am putting in my body. Although I understand that GMOs can be beneficial because it increases productivity and decreases wasted resources. In my opinion though, I think nature should not be altered with.

No comments:

Post a Comment